In Mexico Cactus (nopal) is a food prized for its taste and its beneficial properties. Its fiber contributes to the smooth functioning of the digestive system and the properties of its slime help to regulate the cholesterol levels and blood glucose.
Cactus is consumed in its three forms; the plant in salads and juices, green fruit (tuna vegetal) for fresh consumption, in juice or water and purple (xoconostle) in soups or fresh.
1 Cactus bottle (Nopalitos)
2 Red tomatoes
1/2 Bunch coriander
1 Salt to taste
1 Whole jalapeno pepper can. Optional
- Empty the cactus bottle and wash it under running water. Let them drain.
- Cut the cactus into medium pieces.
- Meanwhile, cut the onion and tomatoes into small squares.
- Wash a sprig of cilantro and cut it into pieces separating the tail.
- If you do not want to keep the cactus slime, then grill it a little.
- Place in a bowl the cactus, tomato, onion and cilantro mixing slightly and adding salt to taste.
- If you prefer a spicy salad, then cut 2 or 3 whole jalapeno peppers.
Thanks for joining me in this recipe and see you soon!